Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Old News Surfaces Again

In January of 1970, I had surgery for an ectopic pregnancy. Since the doctor was "in the neighborhood," he also removed my appendix. He must have considered the appendix unnecessary or thought the possible risk of my having to go through another surgery (for a ruptured appendix) before fully healing from the first surgery too much of a risk for me to take. Shortly after the surgery - probably within a few month, I heard that the medical community had changed its mind and now thought that the appendix really had an important part to play in our health. I regretted that my doctor had removed my appendix; however, I knew he had done it with my safety in mind. Also, I was and am still firmly convinced that with God's help, he had literally saved my life; I could not hold the removal of my appendix against him.

Today on the Internet, thirty-nine years later, I saw an article titled: The Appendix: Useful and in Fact Promising. You can read the entire article at http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090824/sc_livescience/theappendixusefulandinfactpromising/
Since I heard about the importance of the appendix sometime during 1970, how is it that this article shows up today as if the information has just been discovered? I find this amazing.

In the article, Charles Darwin is mentioned as being one of the persons who held the opinion that the appendix was unnecessary to our health. Since I do not agree with Darwin's theory of evolution, it does not surprise me that his ideas about the appendix are also wrong. Don't misunderstand me; I am not saying that we cannot get along without our appendix - obviously we can since many persons, including myself, have had to have theirs removed yet live very normal lives with no apparent negative affects. I do think that the appendix has a purpose; but for many of us, the body either does not suffer an injury or illness where the appendix could be of help or our body has to work to overcome the problem without the aid of the appendix.

Blessings to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment