Sunday, August 16, 2009

Discipline

Discipline is such an important part of life, but we sometimes avoid it because we do not look at it in the right light. There are also different types of discipline, though they are connected.

When you hear the word discipline, what thoughts comes to mind? Are these thoughts positive or negative?

One type of discipline comes when we are in trouble. As children, we often need to be disciplined or corrected for misbehavior. No one enjoys this discipline; however, it has its place.

Then there is the discipline that most of us build into our lives (to varying degrees) that enables us to function in various aspects of our lives. For some of us, discipline seems to come more easily while for others, discipline is very difficult to achieve.

Discipline or lack of discipline can impact us in all areas of life. A lack of discipline in our personal life may lead to problems with friends or spouses. A lack of discipline in our work life may lead to a lack of success on the job or loss of employment. A lack of discipline in our school life may lead to low grades, which may prevent us from getting a high school diploma, getting into college (or the college/university of our choice) or into a particular field of study (medicine, for example) where top grades are required. A lack of discipline in our spiritual life is, in my opinion, the most serious, since this may limit our usefulness to God.

The past six weeks have been wonderful for me in many ways; however, the discipline in my spiritual life has been neglected. Being away from home for almost three weeks and then having additional responsibilities for almost three weeks after returning home has thrown everything out of kilter. Of course, it is my lack of discipline that has caused this to happen. Regardless of where I have been and any added responsibilities I have had, I did not have to place my spiritual discipline on a back burner.

All of my excuses now must be put aside. Tomorrow morning I will return to my 5:00 A.M. schedule and begin the process of rebuilding the discipline I let slip away over the last six weeks. I am looking forward to tomorrow since I have missed the very important benefits which have come from being disciplined.

I thank God for His grace and mercy and for the opportunity to begin anew after having gotten off track.

Blessing to you all.

1 comment:

  1. An excellent discourse. Striving towards a goal has merit in itself.

    ReplyDelete