Sunday, September 20, 2009

And the Children Shall Lead them

"Out of the mouth of babes..."

This morning was Youth Sunday, and a number of young people from age four to nineteen participated in the service. They did a lot of the usual things - read Scripture, gave various readings, led praise and worship, prayed, collected the offering, etc. There was a group of the youngest children who did the usual thing. They had a song to sing; and while in practice they sang out lustily, in front of family and friends they barely opened their mouths. Everyone thought this was cute, of course, which it was (except for the teachers who prepared them for their part) - even the singing that could barely be heard was appreciated.

Despite the fact that the youth were participating in and leading the service, the pastor was to bring the message. Shortly before time for the message, a young men named Micah Carey came to the microphone to read a poem entitled God's Laws (I assumed it was a poem he had found somewhere). This is what he read:

God's laws are perfect;
If I obey them, I will be strong.

God's laws are always right;
If I obey them, I will be wise;
I will always know the right thing to do.

God's laws are fair;
If I obey them, I will be happy.

God's laws are better than gold;
They are sweeter than honey.

As I listened, I was touched by the words Micah spoke.

A couple of other items in the program occurred before the pastor took his place for the sermon. When the he stood up to speak, the pastor's first words were a comment on Micah's poem; he said how much the words of the poem had touched him. He went on to say that in seminary he had taken a course which dealt with simple things, simple words spoken that teach us life lessons - words that immediately touch our hearts without need for a lot of explanation or "sermonizing." The pastor then said that he was going to put his intended sermon aside and ask Micah to come back to the microphone to read his poem again in the hope that everyone would give his complete attention to the words of the poem.

The words of this poem are simple but powerful. God's laws are perfect, and they give us strength because if we follow them, we will not be debilitated by guilt and shame. God's laws are always right; a wise person knows this and follows them. Also, since God's laws are right, we don't have to wonder what to do in a situation. We know what is right, and we do it since we are wise. God's laws are fair. We all hunger for fairness in a world that is anything but fair. Since God's laws are fair, we will be happy when we follow them. God's laws are better than gold and sweeter than honey. There are many things that we seek after; but since God's laws are better than gold and sweeter than honey, what could we possibly value more than His laws?

After church I asked Micah about the words he had shared with us, and he told me that his mother Melita had helped him with it based on an article she had read on the Laws of God. I then told them both how much I appreciated their efforts and how important I thought those truths are.


I want my grandchildren to read the poem and to understand the rightness of and importance of following God's laws. If they will live according to the truths of Micah's words, they will be strong - wise - happy - and have the very best.

This was a great morning; I hope your morning was great as well.

Blessings to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment